Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Rilo Kiley


Rilo Kiley is one of those bands that you listen to and them instantly have to listen to everything they have ever made. Atleast they are that way for me. I found out about Rilo Kiley through a friend two years ago, around the same time that magazines like Rolling Stone were listing Rilo Kiley as the next "It" band for the year. Luckily, for music's sake, Rilo Kiley hasn't blown up quickly and subsequently been spit out by the music community. Enjoy their music video for "Portion for Foxes."

Rilo Kiley was formed initially between singer Jenny Lewis and guitarist Blake Sennett. Jenny and Blake were both child actors who grew up in and around Hollywood. Blake was in Salute Your Shorts and Boy Meets World while Jenny co-stared in the Fred Savage pinball movie The Wizard and more recently Pleasantville. But dont be mistken, Rilo Kiley, along with bassist Pierre de Reeder and drummer Jason Boesel, are no crappy actor-wanna-be- rockstar band. They are the real thing.




Rilo Kiley was formed in 1998 and soon recorded their first album Take Offs and Landings. They continue to tour and gain alot of exposure in the indi scene. In 2002 the record their sophomore album, The Execution of All Things. Soon after the release of this album, Jenny Lewis recorded Give Up the first album from the band The Postal Service, which features the lead singer of Death Cab for Cutie Ben Gibbard. Both Rilo Kiley and The Postal Service continues to tour through 2003. In 2004 Rilo Kiley recorded their latest album More Adventurous. This album strays from their more typical indie sound and really incorporates more rock and melody. More Adventurous garnered amazing reviews from such periodicals as The New York Times and Rolling Stone.

Rilo Kiley are continuing to tour and promote their album. They just recently completed an tour opening for Coldplay which agev them even more exposure to the music world. Jenny Lewis will be releasing a solo CD, which is scheduled to come out in January. Also in January Blake Sennett will be releasing an album with his side project, The Elected. Definetly check them out if you get a chance to. I hope you fall in love with them like I did. Until next time.

8 Comments:

Blogger nicole said...

I was watching the video of Rilo Kiley, and I noticed all of those animals' heads. I know they are fake, but I hope that does not promote hunting or something! I also noticed that a lot of the bands' members look the same. Maybe it is just the way the pictures are taken; kind of dark, most people have dark features and are not smiling or attempting to look their best. I am sure you will say something like "they are comfortable being who they are and not trying to impress anyone", which is fine. It is just an observation! Who did Blake play on SYS and BMW? Those were two great shows!
That is a different title for a music album , The Execution of All Things. Isn't it kind of a play on words though that their second album is "More Adventurous" while you state they sway away from typical indie rock. I had no idea they opened for Coldplay. I am a fan of them! See, I do enjoy other types of music! Where did the name Rilo Kiley come from, do you know? Also as a last comment, ever since you introduced me to Coheed and Cambria, so many of my friends have told me they like that band, and now I know who they are! Thanks!

November 03, 2005 12:15 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Hey Mike. Again, I really enjoy all of your video clips. It lets me see and hear exactly what you are talking about - it has become really helpful since for the fact I have never really heard of any of the bands that you really talk about. This one isn't too bad either. They're not screaming at the top of their lungs, it's pretty mellow. That is so funny how the two main people have been in shows like Boy Meets World and Salute your Shorts. I remember those days, especially Salute your shorts...what a great show. I know you mentioned that the main people are going to be doing some of their own things in the near future, but I was wondering if you think they will ever get back into any of the acting world. I mean I know they are now proclaimed rock artists, but still, do you think they might want to persue some more acting? I guess we'll have to wait and see. Talk to ya next week!

November 03, 2005 1:26 PM  
Blogger kendro said...

Rilo Kiley... i know them! Actually i have that song Portions of Foxes. I have an obsession with Grey's Anatomy. So after every episode i download that episodes music for the night. And they had Rilo Kiley's Portions of Foxes on the episode. They are definately a different kind of band. Their music is interesting.

It's weird to find out that some of their band members were in shows like Boy Meets World and Salute your Shorts. I remember those shows! Salue your Shorts was soo funny. And boy meets world is a classic.

I like how you keep on introducing some "underground" bands that aren't totally mainstream yet. It's definately nice to hear about those types of bands. Keep them coming! Can't wait to add some more bands to my playlists!

November 04, 2005 11:16 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

At first I thought I never heard of Rilo Kiley before but their song "Portion of Foxes" definitely sounds familiar. I probably heard it on the OC or one of those WB shows. The OC actually always has good music. I asked my friend who is always recommending new music, if he ever heard of this band before and he said they were actually on his list of bands to download. This is a band that I can definitely get into. I like Jenny's voice a lot and I'm sure her solo album will be really good. I remember Blake Sennett from Boy Meets World. He was such a little punk on that show. Anyway keep the good bands coming!

November 07, 2005 4:01 PM  
Blogger bren said...

Rilo Kiley sounds pretty cool. I have never heard of them before, but they seem to be worth checking out. Of course, the fact that one of the band members is Joey from Boy Meets World definitely helps the bands cause. I realize that they probably want to distance themselves from images such as that, but you have to give it up for a Boy Meets World actor. In fact, he just showed up on my TV just now. So, I trust his musical work because he seems really cool and chill. I will definitely give Rilo Kiley a look. Have a great day.

-bren-

November 09, 2005 2:02 PM  
Blogger Yola said...

You know I kinda like that song..it reminds me of another artists, I can't of who..but I like it...and I think that it was a good idea to open up for Coldplay(who is an awesome band!) Their sound is similar in a way, soothing but still has great music and tone to it.

From the other artists that I listened to on your blog I have to say that they are my favorite. I think it is because their voices aren't too harsh and loud, just nice melodical sounds..and I like that. Ok... I look forward to hearing what other artists that I may like next! :)

November 11, 2005 12:26 AM  
Blogger Samantha said...

Oh…Salute your Shorts, what a great memories of Nickelodeon this blog is bringing back. I also loved the movie Pleasantville, and I remember her part in it. Well for their music’s sake it is probably better that neither of their acting careers really took off. I find it hard to take an actor’s music seriously. I nearly laugh out loud when I hear about stars like Jada Pinkett and Keanu Reeves in rock bands. I am usually not impressed with bands of which the lead singers our women. I probably shouldn’t be admitting that because I am a one, but I can’t help that most are lame. However because I find that I like most of the music you seem listen to, I am definitely excited to check out a few of their songs.

November 15, 2005 8:08 PM  
Blogger ArmyJacketNinja said...

i really wanted to bring Rilo Kiley to campus. They are awesome, and they have a huge fan base at UD. Kids would go crazy for that. Unforuntely, they aren't touring this year, at all. I guess they need to do some work after touring non stop with Coldplay. i was so excited for them when i heard about that. Who'd think that some small, lesser known band would get a slot with Coldplay. GREAT opportunity for them. i wonder if they'll blow up at all. GREAT group though.. and they have a kick butt female lead singer. Makes them even better!

November 22, 2005 11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

rocking out in delaware.