Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Underoath


Hey Guys!! I hope everyone has been doing well since the last post. I wanted to tell you guys about a band that I have been listening to for about a year and a half. I found out about Underoath when I heard that they were opening up for Coheed and Cambria last year. So I decided to check them out before the show and I have been hooked ever since. Warning: Underoath scream alot, which I think works really well for them (especially in concert) but I know that alot of you guys probably won't like it. But thats cool, just keep your mind open.

Below is a video for their song "Reinventing Your Exit" from their latest album They're Only Chasing Safety.

Underoath is based out of Tampa, Florida where they got their start in 1998. Underoath was intially a straight out metal band but slowly as they matured and the band evolved they migrated and became more of a hardcore band. Underoath released their first wide release album was The Changing of the Times, which was released of Solid State Records (a hardcore side label of Tooth and Nail Records). Soon after the release of this album Underoath's leader singer/screamer left the band. But Underoath soon recovered by adding Spencer Chamberlain as their lead singer. Underoath then went into the studio to record their follow-up album They're Only Chasing Safety. In June 2004 Underoath released this album and ever since has slowly been gaining CD sales and legions of fans throughout the country. This past summer they held a headlining gig on the Warped Tour and were also on the Cover of Alternative Press magazine. Underoath are slated to record their next album this fall with a release in late Sping/Early Summer of 2006.

The thing I admire about Underoath is that these guys are all Christians. Underoath has never hidden the fact that they are all practicing Christians and that their music is fueled by their passion for God. It might seems strange to alot of people that a band that screams alot can connect their lyrics to God, but they are really striking a cord within the music scene that is looking for quality music with a non-destructive message. Underoath is able to walk the line of openly professing their Christian faith while still being respected on a mainstream level.

Here Underoath's guitarist Tim talks about his favorite song on the new album, "A Boy Brushed Red...Living in Black and White"
It talks about the importance of sex in our lives. We're all Christians. We're definitely a faith based band and lately we've seen the downfall of a lot of people and a lot of sexual immorality with a lot of our friend. It just seems like that issue tears apart friendships and relationships and marriages. I see it tear apart with churches with pastors sleeping with little kids. It's definitely a big issue and the song is kind of a fictional tale of a guy knowing that he shouldn't be doing something but making the choice to disrespect himself and his girlfriend and give into something that he knows he shouldn't give into. There's a catch to that song more than most I think.

The future looks pretty bright for Underoath. I can't wait to here there album when it comes out next year. Hope you guys enjoyed the post. I am going to see Death Cab for Cutie so I'll let you know next week how it goes. Peace out.

11 Comments:

Blogger Joe Powel said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

October 25, 2005 1:15 AM  
Blogger esgicpir1 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

October 25, 2005 1:16 AM  
Blogger kendro said...

I really like that song. I used to not like screaming bands at all. Well i actually didn't like them at all until this past summer. The crowd at the beach and the guys I hung out with were really into a bunch of bands that are not what would be considered totally mainstream or "popular". At least not in the wide sense of music such as bands like Green Day. But then they got me listening to stuff like Thrice and I took a little bit of liking to bands that would scream. Although I still believe that the screaming part, at times, could be avoided. Most of these guys have great voices but i learned that most of the screaming is just showing their passion for the music. Underoath was one of the bands i was exposed to and now i love all of these types of bands. The music has so much more meaning than some of that rap "crap" thats out there. Yeah i'd rather listen to rap at a party for dancing, but i'd rather listen to stuff like Underoath when i'm just hanging out. Can't wait for the next band!

October 25, 2005 6:53 PM  
Blogger nicole said...

Yes Mike, everything has been doing well since the last post, thanks for asking! Except for that test this morning....anyway, I hope you talk about in your next blog the concert you went to last night, Death Cab for a Cutie. I have acutally heard of them and a lot of people seem to like them, and I am interested in hearing what you have to say about them, and to listen to a music video you put about them. See the thing I do not like about screaming bands is that you cannot understand what they are saying and it sounds like they are getting paid to scream. I hope I am not being too closed minded about this. Many people can say they do not understand what rappers are saying, a type of music I enjoy listening too. So I guess we are all in the same boat! It sounds like Underoath is doing a good job of promoting themselves and is getting on big name shows and magazine covers. That is awesome that they are a Christain band and are willing to stand by their beliefs. Them screaming is just their passion about the faith maybe. That is a very controversial song topic, but one that many kids today would agree with, and probably many music listeners are refreshed to hear an artist talk about not needing to have sex to fit in or feel cool. A lot of musicians brag about topics like that in their songs.

October 26, 2005 8:02 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Hey Mike. Nice post! I just wanted to let you know how cool I think it is that you can put up those video links --- it really helps get a sense of what kind of music you are talking about in your blog posts. Again, I have never heard of the band you are talking about here - however that is cool that you found such a passion for it. It is funny how it is a screaming band and it is extremely Christian, but hey, everyone has their likings. I probably won't like it and appreciate it the way you do - but that is cool that you have such a diverse taste for music. Keep up the good work on your blog!

October 29, 2005 3:39 PM  
Blogger Yola said...

Wow! I didn't know that this band is a christian based band. I really commend any band that isn't afraid of professing their faith, because sadly if they do so they may or may not lose fans because of it. So that is really commendable, I also find it interesting that they relate their songs back to god and his principles such as the one about the guy and girlfriend doing immoral things even though they know they shouldn't be doing it. I also think it is also interesting to hear someone that is in the limelight to be upset with their friends because they are doing something in their lives that go against things that they were taught previously. This band is very interesting to me and I await your next post to discover what other bands are out there that I have not discovered yet. :)

October 30, 2005 10:40 PM  
Blogger Samantha said...

Yeah I am going to have to say I don’t really feel the screaming music. I can only handle it in short durations in a song and then I get a headache. I was introduced to Underoath this summer and I don’t mind them, but I wouldn’t ever by their CD. It is cool that there lyrics represent their faith. I was surprised to read about the song, “A boy Brushed Red…Living in Black and White,” and the issues it dealt with. I think that it is great that this guys would openly discuss their beliefs and the pressures they face. A song like this can really be influential to their fans with the same beliefs that are facing pressure as well from their friends and the media.

November 03, 2005 3:01 PM  
Blogger Mike Savino said...

Pretty good band. I had heard of them a while back from a freind that was into them. My favorite song that I have right now is, "I've Got 10 Friends, and a Crowbar." It's really good. I know some people don't like the whole screaming thing, but I think that it's OK as long as the music overall is good. I'm actually in the process of d/ling the whole CD right now. I'll have eto get back to you on what I think of their latest CD. If it's anything like the songs that I have right now I am sure that I will like it. Good call on this band pick though.

November 21, 2005 6:28 PM  
Blogger Taylor said...

Hey Mike!I love Underoath and at first I only looked it up because the person I liked was into it but now he is a jerk and I don't liek it because he does now I liek it because I just do and I love it I only have two cds and my favorite song is either a boy brushed red living in black and white or a notw for Andrea(sp?)Still, I love teh band and have always loved rock music and I hate when everyone is all oh rap is soo cool and metal music stinks!BS! Rap is boring!Metal that screams is awesome. I cant wiat for their next CD!I am so happy!
Thanx for reading my post

March 26, 2006 10:55 PM  
Blogger ultradust@gmail.com said...

Hi! I made a new Underoath News blog (haha) and I intend to make it the most up to date blog about the band. Come and visit.
Leave a comment so I can link to you.

Thanks!
Anna.

October 24, 2008 5:03 PM  
Blogger ultradust@gmail.com said...

Hi! I made a new Underoath News blog (haha) and I intend to make it the most up to date blog about the band. Come and visit.
Leave a comment so I can link to you.

Thanks!
Anna.

October 24, 2008 5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

rocking out in delaware.