Thursday, October 13, 2005

Mae


Last Friday at the Trocadero my favortie band, Mae, played an amazing show to a 1,200 person sold-out crowd. Although it was my fourth time seeing Mae, they completely blew me away with the eloquent mix of rock and pure emotion. As you read on about Mae, enjoy their video from their song "Suspension."


Mae started out in 2001 in Norfolk, VA as a colaboration between drummer Jacob Marshall and singer Dave Elkins. This collaboration evolved as guitarist Zach Gehring, bassist Mark Padgett and keyboardist Rob Sweitzer joined the band. Mae's first album Destination: Beautiful was released in 2003. Mae continuously toured, with such acts as Something Corporate and Brand New, and promoted this albun which eventually reached over 70,000 in sales. Through their vigorous touring Mae continued to reach out to their fans and build relationships with new ones.

In May, Mae released their sophomore album on Tooth and Nail Records, called The Everglow. Singer Dave Elkins explains their latest album,

"The record is a story about love and striving and failure and reward," Elkins concludes. "But most importantly it is about being true to yourself, finding your passions, and making them your reason for living, and living fulfilled."

The Everglow is written to be a story. It could be the story of the band Mae as it journeys through their life or the journey of a young man striving to become a boy. No matter how you look at The Everglow no one can deny that it is an amazing album.

The concert on Friday had two opening acts, Circa Survive and Muth Math. Both of these opening acts were alright, but nothing that really made me want to go out and buy their albums. Then Mae finally got to the stage. In the next two hours Mae played through the majority of the songs on Destination: Beautiful and The Everglow. Mae's music is amazing to me because they can transition from a smooth piano ballad into a complete rock out song with perfect timing. The softness of the singer's voice soothes the soul of the listener as he pours his heart out about his stories of love and longing. Mae is a band that has really inspired me in my life, which is something that has really impacted me greatly.

To top off the night, I got to meet and talk to the lead singer, Dave, after the concert. Mae's website had announced a post-concert party in the bar at the Trocadero. But this party wasn't announced at the concert so as a result there were only about 25 people there. So I got to talk to Dave about how much their band means to me and about how much I appreciate what they do. The thing that was really awesome was that he really appreciate that but he took the time to ask me about myself and what I do. It was really awesome to see that someone I admire is really cool and actually cares about his fans.

So all in all the concert was awesome and sometime in the future I plan on seeing Mae again. I have posted below a picture of me and Dave and I also posted a picture from Mae's website from the Philly concert I was at.

7 Comments:

Blogger Yola said...

Mike, even though I don't know any of the bands that you talk about on your blog I can really appreciate your love and passion for music. I think it is so cool that you are going to different concerts each week and then coming back to tell us what you think about them. I too have a love for music but a different kind..reggae, "chill music", southern music, and many many others...I also like how you incorporate the music, videos and pictures in with your blog, this really grabs my attention because I am able to hear the music for the first time, see the people and see the video...its like MIKE MTV!! all in all I really enjoy your blog and I like learning about different music that is out there.

October 13, 2005 3:31 PM  
Blogger kendro said...

Don't you love how the best bands, no matter how many times you see them play, still are awesome time and time again? Its the bands that have that passion for what they are doing that make you want to see them again and again. Another tooth and nail band huh?! Gotta love those bands, they are so good. They usually have some great messages through their songs and don't just talk about materialistic/crappy kind of things. Makes the music that much better. I like the albums name, The Everglow. It has a cool sound to it. Nothing is better than meeting th guys of the band! That's so cool you got to talk to them and find out what they think. Can't wait to find out about more bands!

October 14, 2005 9:58 AM  
Blogger nicole said...

Mike, unfortunately the clip does not play on my computer! But I am sure they sound good. Mae must be a good band if you have seen them three previous times before last Friday and they can still blow you away. It is surprising too that they only began in 2001, and four short years later they have become pretty big. Something Corporate and Brand New are also pretty big bands, so that was great exposure for them to sell their record. Do you think they were speaking about themselves on the record? Most likely. I like the fact that they said the record is mostly about being true to yourself and having your living fulfilled. That is always an important life message. And I am happy for you that you found a band to inspire your life. Many bands don't have that affect on people. That is really cool that you got to meet him and he had an acutal conversation with you. Congrats! The pictures are really nice too!

October 16, 2005 6:00 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Hey Mike, it sounds like you had an awesome time at the concert. I'm so jealous that you're able to go to so many concerts and that you have the chance to see the bands that you love. I try to go to as many concerts as possible, but unfortunately I don't always have the money or the time. Hopefully that will change once I'm out of college. I also love hearing about bands that really appreciate their fans because without the fans they would be nothing. I never heard of Mae before but after watching their video on your blog, they sound like a really good band. I feel like it's almost impossible for me to not like the music that you talk about!

October 16, 2005 11:06 PM  
Blogger Samantha said...

That is really awesome that you got to meet the lead singer of your favorite band. And to add to that he was actually a cool guy that was interested in what you were up to in life. Most people will never get a chance to do that. Where is the Trocadero located? My friend just saw Mae at the Stone Pony; she really liked the one band Circa Survive, as well. I looked up some music from Sufjan the other day, I definitely enjoyed it but it wasn’t what I was expecting. Have you gone to four Mae shows our have you just been able to see them at events like the Warp tour?

October 20, 2005 5:10 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

How cool for you that you were able to meet such an icon of yours. It is really cool that you have such a passion for music and that you can really relate to it. That is probably a good thing that the after party was not mentioned in front of the crowd or you may have not had the chance to chat as long as you did with the lead singer of MAE. Again, I am not too familiar with the band itself, but with all of your video clips, etc. it has definitely opened my eyes to a new sort of music. Very cool, keep up the good work!

October 22, 2005 4:38 PM  
Blogger bren said...

I have to say that you certainly go to a lot of shows. I think that is awesome. You are really into the Delaware seen. Mae is definitely a solid act. I wish I knew they were going to be at the Troc. I definitely would have come out for that one. I also wanted to let you know that I like the videos that you post with some of the posts. They are an awesome way for people to understand what the bands about and how they sound. It is a good combo of visual and sound. I think it is one of the best parts about your blog. Anyway, I have to get going. Have a great day and take care.

-bren-

November 10, 2005 5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

rocking out in delaware.