Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Emery

Last night at the Theater of the Living Arts (TLA) on South St. I saw Emery in concert. Emery is a melodic post-hardcore band currently on Tooth and Nail Records. Emery is from South Carolina. They released their critically aclaimed album "The Weak's End" in January 2004 and just released their sophomore album "The Question". Simply put Emery is an amazing band that combines hard rock attitude, the edginess of screamo and heartfelt honest lyrics.

The concert last night started off on a bad note. The first opening band, Gatsby's American Dream, who are a prog-punk band couldn't make it because their van broke down. So this horrible band took their place. I don't even remember their name they were so bad. They were trying way to hard to be this trash nu-metal band. Their singer was impossible to understand because he was completely wasted. Also, after their set the drummer jumped into the crowd and beat the snot out of a kid in the first row who was heckling them. The next band was As Cities Burn. They just released their first album, "Son, I Loved You At Your Darkest", on Solid State Records which is a Christian hardcore subsidiary of Tooth and Nail Records. These guys rocked the house sufficiently. I was impressed with their ability to have a screamo band with positive redempting lyrics. But I am kinda biased to this band because I know their manager. The last opening band was He Is Legend. These guys really worked the audience with their use of rockingm pulsing anthems and riveting guitar solos.

Emery finally was up. They decorated the stage like it was a Mid-Western town. Throughout the show, while switching guitars and singers, Emery would fill the time with a pre-recorded story about the Wild West. To complete the ensemble the guys in the band came out dressed like Cowboys, banditos and outlaws. They opened the concert with the lead off track on their new album called "So Cold I Could See My Breath". From then on Emery rocked through their favorite songs such as "Studying Politics", "Returning The Smile You Have Had From the Start" and the "Ponytail Parades". The thing I love about Emery's show was that they really incorporated the crowd into their show. Constantly the singers would lean into the crowd pointing the microphone letting the fans sing parts of verses or choruses. I even got to get my splendid voice in a line of the closing song "Walls".

All in all this was a pretty sick concert. It was great to see these guys live. Plus they were really nice when they came out after the show to shake everybody's hand that had hung around. Here is a link to their website for the new album, The Question ,check it out and listen to some of their stuff. Catch you guys next week.

7 Comments:

Blogger kendro said...

Hey, speaking of Tooth & Nail records... one of my FAVORITE Bands is Anberlin. They are also on Tooth & Nail. I don't know if you noticed, but every band on Tooth & Nail are "christian bands". If you look at the back of their sleeves their thanks are mostly to god. Anew album "Don't take friendship personal" is SO incredibly good. I've never heard of Emery but i will definately check them out. Sounds like a good band. Thats so messed up about that one band and their drummer jumping off stage to fight a guy. Have some dignity.

September 14, 2005 9:30 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Yeah I absolutely love Anberlin. I got "Never Take Friendship Personal" last Jan. when it came out. They are amazing, although a buddy of mine saw them live and said they weren't that great. Their old album is good too, but definetly not as aggressive, which I think suits them better.

September 15, 2005 12:12 PM  
Blogger nicole said...

Hey Mike,
Where is the Theater of the Living Arts? In Philadelphia? For myself and all the non-music majors who are reading your blog, could you clarifty some of your terminology? Some of these words includ "melodic post-hardcore" and
"the edginess of screamo"
I cannot believe that an actual band member had the nerve to come out of the audience and pick a fight. I understand that they were not the first choice in being the opening band and maybe they were not prepared for a show or in a bad mood, but that is no excuse to come after the fans. It is kind of similar to when Ron Artest hit the fan awhile ago. I think performers in general, whether they be athletes, musicians, or anyone who performs in front of an audience, has responsibility in controling their emoitions. I understand that man was probably drunk and being beligerient, but the drummer was out of line. What do you think?
A good topic however, definetly different than everyone else's!

September 15, 2005 7:09 PM  
Blogger Samantha said...

Glad the show went well, except for the few discrepancies. It sucks for the rest of the band members, not only did they play a bad show, they look like idiots. I like the TLA but, every time I go to there I feel like my friends and I are the oldest people in the place. I love live shows though, you never know what to expect. I am going to a White Stripes concert next Wednesday at the House of Blues. I am excited to hear a show there. Have you seen a show there yet? Coheed is playing next Tuesday, I wanted to see them, but I couldn’t justify going to AC two nights in a row.

September 18, 2005 12:47 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I have never been to the House of Blues but I bet its pretty fun. I would love to see Coheed again, I saw them last fall and they were amazing. Their new CD is coming out soon and it is supposed to be really good. I will definetly be getting it.

September 18, 2005 2:42 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I have actually never heard of Emery before I read your blog. However, I am always interested in new bands that are out there so I checked out their website "Question." I think the website is really good. I listened to a few of their songs from their latest album. They seem like a pretty decent band that I could get into. I've never been to the TLA but I did go to the Trocadero a few times and I'm going back next week to see this band called The Faint. I'm looking forward to reading about other bands you plan to talk about on your blog!

September 18, 2005 9:19 PM  
Blogger tandykline45625588 said...

i thought your blog was cool and i think you may like this cool Website. now just Click Here

September 20, 2005 11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

rocking out in delaware.